Week 9 was good. I spent this week really diving into marketing Beacon. The bulk of what I did this week involved making sure things were up to date or set up correctly. I ensured that the local listings for Beacon were correct in directories like Google Places, Yahoo! Local, and Bing Local. Once I was done with that, I worked on setting on some goal funnels in GA to track conversions for Beacon’s contact form. I set up the funnel to track if the contact form was filled out from a specific page. The other updating I did was related to the special offer page for the current promotion Beacon will be running. This didn’t involve creating anything on the page, but rather making sure links worked correctly on the page and that links from other pages pointed to the correct special offer page.
Along with that work, I spent a large amount of time working on a PPC campaign for the special offer. This was really fun. I got to manipulate the keywords for ad groups within the campaign to try to ensure that the ads were associated with the right keywords to improve the quality score of the keywords. The better the quality score, the more likely the ad will appear in related searches. There were close to 20 ad groups that I focused on for this campaign. After looking over the previous statistics, I tweaked the copy of the ads for each ad group to hopefully be more effective. I also wrote one or two new ads for each ad group. If you don’t know already, the ads have a limited number of characters for each line. There are four lines in each ad. The headline, line 1, line 2, and the display URL. The headline and the limits you to 25 characters and the other three lines limit you to 35 characters each. Here is an example to help visualize what I had to work with.
This equals 25 characters
This is the length of 35 characters
Here is a new set of 35 characters.
It seems like it would be easy to get your point across in that amount of space since you have 70 characters for the “meat” of the “sandwich”, but considering my second line was a predetermined mentioning of the special offer, I really only had 35 characters to deliver the message. I was able to make the headline whatever I wanted to help get the message out there. Also, the display URL can more or less be whatever you want. It doesn’t have to be a valid URL. It is meant to help convince people to click on the ad. The ad is pointing to a real URL of your choosing in the background.
In addition to writing and editing ads, I was given the freedom to determine the best geographical area to target with the ads, I was able to give input on the daily budget of the campaign, and I got to learn about and set up some A/B testing within the campaign. A/B testing is where you run two almost identical ads or websites or etc. and see which outperforms the other. Once you get enough data you stop the less effective one and move on to testing the winner versus another small change. Hopefully I’ll be able to see some results before the end of my internship. If not I’ll have to check back in to find out how it’s going.