Est. Reading Time: 3 minutes
Dynamic Phone Tracking Effectively Correlates Inbound Calls to Website Behavior and Marketing Source.
Challenge: Our client wanted to better understand the impact the website was having with respect to inbound calls to its Call Center. The majority of the conversions actually occurred at the Call Center versus online. A better understanding of the source and geographic location of call center conversions stemming from their website would help to maximize the ROI from their web initiatives. How can this be achieved?
- Client Facts:
- Technology Restoration Firm
- $1M+ in Annual Sales
- Services US and Canada
- Install dynamic phone tracking
- Effectively measure website driven inbound calls
- Ability to attribute user’s orginial web source (organic, ppc, etc.)
- Successfully installed custom built code that attributed web driven phone calls to 20+ location/ source combinations
- Improved ROI by optimizing PPC campaigns based on leads vs. costs
- 2,000+ in-bound calls tracked in Google Analytics for lead acquisition
- Full visibility of caller ID information to use for location based organic optimization strategy
Business Solution: Effective phone tracking needed to be installed to identify both the location that the user was calling from and the source that led the user to the website. This required displaying a unique phone number to cover each of the many combinations of location and source. With four different office locations (East, West, Midwest, and North) combined with five different potential user sources (organic, PPC campaign 1, PPC Campaign 2, PPC Campaign 3, and all other traffic), a total of twenty unique scenarios needed to be setup and managed.
Results: Custom code was implemented and successfully accounted for twenty different call combinations of user source and locations. Over a six month span, over 2000 phone calls were logged and attributed as customer contact goal conversions for the client. In the short term, this data was used to optimize the company’s PPC budget between the lesser performing campaigns and the more successful ones. Over a longer span, the client used this data to help determine the need for physical office locations in each region.