WORKING MOTHER MAGAZINE ANNOUNCES THE 2006
WORKING MOTHER BEST SMALL COMPANIES
Inaugural initiative recognizes 25 small businesses that help mothers most
With more than 10.6 million women-owned companies generating nearly $2.5 trillion in sales nationwide, small business is booming for America’s working moms. With this in mind, Working Mother Magazine has, for the first time, chosen 25 small companies doing remarkable, cost-effective things to create innovative, family-friendly workplaces for their employees. The companies were nominated by Working Mother readers and are featured in the April issue.
“These small companies prove that it doesn’t take deep pockets to give employees what they want and need to balance work and family,” said Susan Lapinski, Working Mother’s Editor-in-Chief. “What it does take is a commitment to productivity, happiness and overall job-satisfaction, plus the creativity to establish workplace practices that women really value. We’re proud of these companies and hope they serve as an example to other small business owners nationwide.”
The Working Mother Best Small Companies diversify across a wide spectrum of industries, from travel and IT to architecture and special-education therapy. Many of the winning companies provide lactation rooms, encourage moms to bring their infants to work, offer an expansive definition of flexible schedules and have programs that foster professional development. Some provide paid leave for both birth and adoptive parents, while others are on the cutting edge by allowing phased-in reentry. Most impressive is that many of the smaller winning companies opt to provide FMLA benefits, even though the law only requires this of companies with 50 or more employees.
The 2006 Working Mother Best Small Companies:
- Affect Strategies, Inc. (New York, NY)
- Atlas Travel International (Milford, MA)
- Beacon Publishing Services (Ashland, OH)
- Beacon Technologies, Inc. (Greensboro, NC)
- Computrition (Chatsworth, CA)
- Data Dog Interactive Marketing (Milwaukee, WI)
- DBC Public Relations Experts (Washington, DC)
- Designs by Lucinda (Portland, ME)
- eXude Benefits Group, Inc. (Philadelphia, PA)
- Fulcrum Analytics, Inc. (New York, NY)
- Gwaltney Fleming, Inc. (Richmond, VA)
- Hyaluron Contract Manufacturing (Burlington, MA)
- Image Dynamics (Dallas, TX)
- InsureMe (Englewood, CO)
- Powell & Tiller Dental Care (Austin, TX)
- The Law Office of Deirdre Wachbrit (Westlake Village, CA)
- Lipton Corporation Child Care Centers, Inc. (Washington, DC)
- Milestone Capital Management, LLC (Greenwich, CT)
- OakTree Software, Inc. (Tulsa, OK)
- Peace X Peace (Vienna, VA)
- Rita Flora/Flora Kitchen (Los Angeles, CA)
- Skyland Prosthetics & Orthotics, Inc. (Arden, NC)
- Stroller Strides LLC (San Marcos, CA)
- Theraplay, Inc. (West Chester, PA)
- Vanguard Communications (Washington, DC)
Working Mother readers nominated small companies with family-friendly benefits and a culture that helps employees balance their work and family needs. Companies were required to have between five and 100 employees. Editors scored more than 250 entries based primarily on three areas of emphasis: work/life benefits, entrepreneurial spirit and programs to help women advance.
To find out more about the Working Mother Best Small Companies, please visit Working Mother Magazine.
About Working Mother
Founded in 1979, Working Mother magazine reaches nearly 3 million readers and is the only national magazine for career-committed mothers. Its 20-year signature initiative, Working Mother 100 Best Companies, is the most important benchmark for work/life practices in corporate America. The publication also releases the annual list of the Best Companies for Women of Color in the June issue. Working Mother is published by Working Mother Media (WMM), which also owns the National Association for Female Executives (NAFE), NAFE Magazine, the annual 100 Best Companies WorkLife Congress, as well as the Best Companies for Women of Color Multicultural Conference and regional Town Halls.
About Beacon Technologies
Beacon Technologies excels in providing internet search engine marketing services, primarily through search engine optimization (organic placement) and paid placement strategies. The company provides varying levels of services to companies of all sizes and verticals nationwide. Beacon also delivers high end web graphic design, web software development, content management solutions and dependable hosting services.