Developing Your New Ecommerce Website
Development is where the rubber-hits-the-road, so to speak. It's the construction phase that will ultimately complete the vision. But remember that it’s a PROCESS. At the heart of all our projects is a standard, tried-and-true methodology, led by a dedicated project manager who is tasked with bringing the project to the finish line on-time and on-budget. It is their responsibility to keep the project moving, manage the timeline and budget, track issues, handle meetings, communicate regularly and focus on quality. We believe it's important to engage project managers that have backgrounds in technology and larger-scale project. This gives our Clients both a technical and business consultant during this process as well.
An ecommerce website requires a big investment of time and dollars. It's not only about the labor, but the strength and endurance of your website rests squarely on the infrastructure that it’s built on. Developers must adhere to a variety of industry standards while bringing the design to life - including 508 and WCAG compliance (for multiple devices and browsers). Complexity is ratcheted up as web developers must also integrate common 3rd party software for Ecommerce (BeCommerce, AspDotNetStorefront, etc), Content Management (Cascade CMS), Site Search (Nextopia, Google Custom Search) and Analytics (Google Analytics). They must also carefully connect with other systems to handle shipping, taxation, fulfillment, product uploads, order processing, payment gateways. The development of an online store is a puzzle with a lot of pieces that must fit together perfectly.
For Beacon, the primary development items include:
- Technical Documentation - describing the built-in styles, URL structure, naming scheme, file structure, etc.
- Google Analytics Development – migration of GA Tracking code to the new site & test, so reporting remains consistent as you move from your old website to the new one.
- Transactional Development within the BeCommerce Platform (authentication, registration, checkout, product listing page, product detail page, "myorder" page, shipping, taxation, filtering, interfaces (product upload, order download, status upload) and integration w/ 3rd party software (Chat, Reviews, Product Recommendations, Search, etc.)
- HTML development for Home Page Templates, Product Listing Page, Product Detail Page, Shopping Cart Page(s), Checkout Process Page(s), Registration Page(s), Content Pages, Google Custom Search Results Update. Includes Style Guide Template.
- Cascade CMS development for project setup (sites, formatting, publishing destinations, user access, redesign outputs… not disturb production site), Home Page Templates, Product Listing Page, Product Detail Page, Shopping Cart Page(s), Checkout Process Page(s), Registration Page(s), Content Pages, Google Custom Search Results Update.