Best Practices for Companies New to the Wide World of Email Marketing
Est. Reading Time: 4 minutes
Our Beacon Technology Web Marketing Consultants always recommend engaging in email marketing for both our online retailers and our online content providers because it works to generate higher relevant traffic, sales and or conversions on their websites. Email Marketing allows specific targeting, helps to push direct sales, builds relationships, supports sales through other channels, and it is data driven. Let me repeat that, it is data driven. The biggest advantage is that email marketing is inexpensive and will go to the users you have assigned. Email Marketing is one of the best ways to increase brand visibility and customer loyalty, while not raising your budgets. Mailchimp is a great example of an inexpensive email marketing management system because there is no cost involved if you are sending no more than 12,000 emails each month. If you already have a list of more than 12,000 emails we recommend Bronto as the email marketing platform to you use. There is a cost involved, but the extra features and automation is well worth the cost!
Here are five quick tips to help you along the way:
- Just say no! Don’t use your office’s desktop email system to send your Email. If you send email blasts from the same server that hosts your email interface that you email your current B2B or conversion customers for orders, your general emails could potentially be blocked altogether for spam. This could cause big problems down the line.
- Don’t reinvent the wheel! Look into a good email management interface that has templates and reporting already created. As stated earlier, MailChimp is a great email marketing program that is free as long as you send no more than 12,000 emails in a month. Using an email UI will allow you to manage and breakdown your marketing lists as well as quickly remove those that request their subscription be terminated. Most also allow for split tests to occur to continuously improve your open and click thru rates for your emails.
- Keep it fresh! Make sure you provide different types of emails within your rotation cycles. Don’t only send out emails when you have a promotion running. Instead, implement a monthly newsletter with industry, product, or company information. Remember, you can still push your products and services, you are just not doing it in such an obvious way. As a company, you have got to be able to provide users a reason to subscribe and to remain on your email lists.
- Use your Noggin! Before you send out an email, go back over the content and images, then say, “Would I read this email if I it landed in my inbox?” Step one, always be the first person to review/critique the email you just created. Would the people on your list want to receive this email? What benefit will it serve them? If you don’t think it will give them a good deal, up to date industry news, a better understanding of your company or your industry, or serve another purpose that has slipped my mind, it should be back to the drawing board for you my friend!
- Content is Still King! Your email should not consist of only a subject line and one huge graphic. Instead, it should be a mix of text and images to help users whose email systems aren’t quite up to par. This will also help keep the email in the inbox if a user first views the email on a mobile phone with limited capabilities. If they can read enough to know they need the email, they will keep it and check it out later on a desktop or full screen device.