Est. Reading Time: 3 minutes
- jQuery JS Library that allows CSS-styled selectors for DOM elements.
- jQuery-UI Extensive collection of user-interfaces and controls.
- Script.aculo.us Contains a visual effects engine, a drag and drop library, and other visual effects.
- MooTools Has built in functionality for playing sounds and an extensive collection of transitions and effects.
- YUI Never really used this library, but it appears to be well documented and used around the web.
- Name: Moment.js Website: http://momentjs.com/ Note: This script is fantastic for formatting dates/time.
- Name: Respond.js Website: https://github.com/scottjehl/Respond#readme Note: Light-weight library script that allows CSS3 Media Querys for responsive web design in browsers that do not support CSS3.
- Name: Table Sorter Website: http://tablesorter.com/docs/ Note: Fantastic script that makes table headers sortable. Works with rows or columns and can sort multiple data types including: strings, integers, and dates.
- Name: Masked Inputs Website: http://digitalbush.com/projects/masked-input-plugin/ Note: This script is a nice compliment to live form validation. We use it on our Beacon site, but had issues with it removing the input if a user leaves the textbox incomplete. We found a fix for this on the web, incorporated it into the current release (non-minified), and then re-minified it. The modified version can be downloaded here.
- Name: JSLitmus Website: http://fmarcia.info/jsmin/test.html Note: This online tool can be used to compact your JS code. I recommend keeping a backup of the original coding if you plan on ever revisiting the code.
- Name: JSBeautifier Website: http://jsbeautifier.org/ Note: This tool will format code for you with indentations and line returns. Badly formatted code or minified code files can be undone with this for significantly better readability.
- Name: GreyBox/LightBox/ThickBox GreyBox Website: http://orangoo.com/labs/GreyBox/ LightBox Website: http://lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/ ThickBox Website: http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/ Note: Different flavor scripts that handle popup windows.
Web Developer and Coding Resources:
- GitHub – Developer projects with online collaboration
- DZone – Developer articles and tutorials
- NetTuts -Web Developer tutorials
- CodeCanyon – Has tutorials on a variety of web languages with video
- DynamicDrive – Heaps of scripts to add functionality to your site.
I regularly visit these sites (and others like them containing lists of scripts) to gather resources for a project.