Est. Reading Time: 2 minute
“Make it so”
Captain Jean-Luc Picard says YOU need to do three things in three chintzy lines very quickly with your Google AdWords copy.
- Stand out & get attention (Headline- Line 1)
- Create a desire (Line 2)
- Incite an action (Line 3)
“Make it so, Number One”!
(1) The headline is the most important line.
There are several techniques to try.
- Dynamic Keyword Insertion
- One word headline
- Two word headline
- Three word headline
- Have the headline ask a question
- Begin your headline with the word “How to” (see example below)
“Make it so, Number Two”!
(2) On the second line after the headline, make it personal.
- Ask yourself the question, just how can the customer benefit?
In the Google ad below, the line reads “Customers Search and Find You.”
Thats how the customer will benefit.
“Make it so, Number Three”!
(3) On the third and last line, get immediate action.
People don’t need time to think it over. You will lose sales that way.
Here are some techniques to try:
- If the price is going up, say so.
- If the supply is limited, say so.
- Set a time limit.
- Use call to actions such as “Act Now”, “Shop Today”, or “Don’t Delay”
- State another great benefit the visitor will get by buying your product (“Save 15%”).
See the example below:
The examples used above are actual Google sponsored ads. There is a very high probability that these Google Ads have been tested and are being displayed for a very good reason. The reason is because the chintzy ad format works. Google’s 5.7 billion in revenue doesn’t lie.
And why listen to Picard? According to wikipedia:
Picard is deemed the ultimate delegator of authority, knowing “how to gather and use data better than any other Star Trek captain.”